Thursday, July 15, 2004

Millennium Park

Millennium Park, composed of a new garden, several sculptures, and a Frank Gehry - designed outdoor concert shell, is having its grand opening this weekend. Like the new Soldier Field, where the Bears play, many of the sculptures smack of alien spacecraft, but the Gehry complex is pretty amazing. Like most Gehry constructs, it looks like a series of overlapping curved sheets of tinfoil.

Jay (Franke) has tickets to the taping of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," the NPR quiz show, at this curvy silver band shell, the Jay (Pritzker) pavilion, on Sunday morning. There are a host of other events, the schedule of which, along with an interactive tour, can be viewed here.

As for me, I'm not sure how much I'll participate in the hub-bub. I attempted to take part in the Taste of Chicago a few weeks ago and found myself overwhelmed by the masses of people. Instead, Baker and I might spend some time in the lovely suburban oasis of Schaumberg, Illinois, navigating the giant Ikea out there and checking out the bike paths.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home