Friday, July 16, 2004

The Container Store

Oh, the wonderland that is The Container Store, a mid-western establishment that promises to de-clutter and in the process improve the overall quality of your life.  Upon first entering, you walk around wide-eyed, imagining the glorious state of organization in which you'd live if only you bought one of every product.   It's quite intoxicating, which is why I'm proud for having left the store with my wallet only $270 lighter than it was when I came in.
 
Before you scoff and roll your eyes, concluding that I was sucked in by the clever marketing strategy, consider this:  I bought 3 substantial pieces of furniture with which I will furnish my entire room in my new apartment, along with my futon.  I got a 5' high, black, commercial-grade, metal wire bookshelf (with 4 shelves); a simple black desk (at a slim 24" wide, so it will fit perfectly at the end of bed, right in front of my window); and a set of plastic drawers on wheels, to fit in my closet and act as a "dresser" of sorts.
 
So I think I scored a great deal.  And I can bring it all down to Hyde Park next week and tuck it in a corner (the roommates said it'd be OK to do that) so it will be all ready to assemble when I move in at the beginning of September.
 
Plus, I am working on a deal with Dave, a fellow Amherst '02 rower who is moving out to Chicago as well in mid-August, to buy some space in his U-haul.  Keep your fingers crossed for me; I really want to get my futon - not to mention the rest of my clothes - out here somehow.  I'm going to need those wool sweaters in a few months...

2 Comments:

Blogger Norbert Molitor said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes! strange things happen in Blogland. what could piranhase have said that caused the comment to be removed by a blog administrator???? where did the link to brasserie jo go???
i loved the account of the shopping trip, and think the room in hyde park sounds very promising. desks by the window are the best kind, even if you go hours without looking out. something about living in the light. GPL, nostradamus in noroton

1:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home