Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Celebrity Induced Paralysis

I can't quite explain it, but I'm still kicking myself over it.

I'm talking about my failure to approach ESPN commentator Mike Hall, who was on my flight to Chicago tonight. He was right there, literally steps behind me down three moving walkways, and I couldn't bring myself to say hello. I was speechless.

I first recognized his face, then his voice, and my suspicions were confirmed as I eavesdropped on the conversation he was having on his cell phone. He mentioned to the person on the other line that he'd be doing the early show when he got back from visiting his parents.

If you watched Dream Job, then you'll know whom I'm talking about. This guy, Mike Hall, won the competition to be the next ESPN commentator; he was picked by a panel of judges and the viewing audience as the best amateur sports broadcaster among the 12 finalists.

So he is a legitimate celebrity. Which is why I was afflicted with the condition mentioned in the title of this post. But why? I ask. Why can't I wrap my head around the fact that people on TV are actually people just like me and you?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy smoke! three new dana postings since last i visited this blessed blog. a journey, a celeb sighting, and a suburban critique worthy of a Cheever or an Updike. ``danainchicago'' aces the acid test -- it is just plain fun to read. GPL< TBC

12:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home