Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Dining Adventures

Last night, Baker and I + soon-to-be-newlyweds Clay and Kristina + their two friends, ate out at one of Great Barrington's newest restaurants (name available upon request). I was expecting sheer bare bones bar fare, but instead JSG (<-- name teaser) was full of surprises, both good and bad.

First of all, we were seated on the deck, clean and newly constructed of new age, fake wood composite material. It wasn't too hot and the atmosphere was very pleasant. The only problem was the proximity to Route 7, as in the deck was about 10 feet from the road. So noise became an issue.

Now for a review of the food. The menu was very promising, featuring portabello mushrooms, brie, and pesto (three cheers for basil!) I guess it has to be acknolwedged, however, that almost every dish featured some combination of the above three ingredients: on top of pasta, chicken, a hamburger, or "field greens." I was not worried though. Those are good ingredients!

So I decided on the tortellini and scallops topped with pesto. The portions were refreshingly small, as in the waitress did not set before me a trough of pasta. The pesto was mostly oil with very few herbs however, and I think I counted three scallops on my plate.

And speaking of the wait staff... I'd bet a lot of money that half of them didn't want to be waiting tables but happened to be conscripted into duty by virtue of their relationship to the owner of the place, which would account for our waitress's surly attitude. My only other complaint is the size of the beverages. I think I had to ask for water three times, and I had quite a little row of empty glasses in front of me by the end of the meal.

So, would I go back? Absolutely! I have to try something with portabello and brie in it...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like great barrington is still looking for its first decent restaurant (you can't count Four Brothers, which is after all a chain). betcha they do a mean pizza with portobello and brie. TBC

1:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home