Sunday, October 31, 2004

Trick or Treat

Halloween festivities abounded this weekend, last night especially. The only complaint I have is about myself. My costume was pretty lame. I resurrected the cactus dress from high school (which made a couple appearances at Amherst), put on a pair of blue fishnet stockings, and teased my hair. Throughout the course of the night I was everything from a disco queen to the grand canyon incarnate to the wild west to a Connecticutter. Don't ask.

Anyway, my vote for top three costumes of the night go to the following:

1. Erin's perfectly put-together 50's outfit, featuring small feathered hat with veil, white gloves, chiffon neck scarf, iridescent compact purse, and rhinestone cat-eye glasses. If only those stupid Target shoes hadn't been two different sizes... (and both for the left foot).

2. The Amalgamator, a super hero with assorted junk of all kinds strapped to him. He let you take whatever you wanted, though he was shamelessly promoting his stand up comedy and improv troupes via labels with website addresses stuck to all his give-aways.

3. The Soccer Mom. This girl's costume rocked, and she was perfectly in character as well. She wore a pink turtleneck, a visor, and a sweatshirt plastered with iron-on soccer decals, puff paint, and buttons made from "her kids" soccer portraits. The real kicker (pardon the pun) was the ziploc baggie full of orange slices she was carrying around and offering to everyone as she extolled the virtues of vitamin C.

I really have a profound appreciation for people who take Halloween seriously. It's one of the only nights a year when grown men and women can dress up in ridiculous outfits and roam the streets. I pledge right now to do a better job with my own costume next year. Besides, after over a year of living outside of New England and 7 years of living outside of the state, I don't think I can be a Connecticutter again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

back in the old Nutmeg State, I passed very convincingly as an aging, gray-haired suburbanite. The jacques-de-lanterne occupied a new, high-visibility location on the shelf outside the bathroom window. One visitor claimed to be thrilled that we were passing out Halloween preztels instead of candy. All in all, a happy, perhaps even hallowed, day. GPL, TBC

12:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home