Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Beauty School Drop-Out

Now I knew that I was taking a risk by making an appointment for a hair cut at the Aveda Institute of Chicago. I only wanted a trim, though, and $13 sounded like exactly the amount I wanted to spend on one. Of course, at that price the options are limited. It's either Supercuts or beauty school, so I chose the latter.

So I don't know why I'm surprised that I wasn't blown away by the results. Still, after sitting in that chair for an hour and 40 minutes you'd think I'd have something positive to say. And wait, I do. At least she didn't cut off too much. Honestly, I don't think she cut off any. I saw the scissors and heard them snip, but I'm not sure I really saw any hair fall to the floor. Besides, she needed the majority of that hour and 40 minutes to "style" my hair, a process which involved mostly loading it up with 4 different kinds of product, blow-drying it, rewetting it, adding more product, and then sort of blow-drying it again.

Anyway, what really surprised me was that these "students" behaved in a way shockingly similar to the high school students I taught in a former life. For the duration of my haircut, another student, who didn't have a client that afternoon, sat in her own chair and stared at me, chattering away with my stylist-in-training about everything from Chipotle burritos to their plans for Saturday night to the haircut she'd botched that morning.

The best little exchange however was this one: (It made me want to tell the idle student that before pursuing a license in hair design, she might have been better served by attending the school of tact.)

Idle student to mine, wielding hair dryer: "Jessica, you remind me of my dad."

Hair dryer stops.

Jessica (my stylist) says: "I remind you of your dad?"

Hair drying resumes.

I.S. : "No, I don't mean like the way you act."

Hair dryer stops.

Jessica: "Oh, so the way I look?" (Now, I must interject here, that, unfortunate as it was, Jessica was somewhat manly in appearance, and also, though not necessarily unfortunate, clearly of a non-western, non-caucasian ethnic background.)

I.S. : "No, no, no. I just mean... you're like... foreign, like my dad."

Jessica: "Did you just say foreign?"

I.S. : "Well, I mean, you're like, not American."

Jessica: "I was born in Oak Park!"

I.S. (turning red and scrambling out of her chair) : "OK, fine." (And, just before running away completely) "But you're definitely brown."

So three months from now, will I be making another appointment at the Aveda Institute? I'll let you be the judge of that, but let's just say the outcome may be a good gauge of just how poor and desperate I am at that point.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

harrowing ``service economy'' tale, well told. gpl, tbc

11:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom says there's a lot of brown people in Africa.
-BEF

10:53 PM

 
Blogger Anne said...

Dana, I think you should investigate the Curly Hair Revolution... Apparently, in Portland, Oregon there is an entire "revolution" devoted to changing the way hair stylists approach curly hair. I think basically it consists of infrequent washings and little or no brushing. Personally I think any person who has had curly hair for more than 5 years could figure things like that out on their own, but it's interesting nonetheless. Maybe these girls at Aveda Institute just need to be exposed to this revolution and that's the turning point in their careers? Dana, you could single-handedly bring the Curly Hair Revolution to Chicago!

1:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home