Friday, February 10, 2006

The Olympic Spirit

Sometimes it's difficult to keep up with all of the various hysteria being stirred up by the media at any given time, but I for one am making the Olympics a priority this year. I've been reading about various athletes, from the crazy to the cutesie. I've also been learning about the various sports, some of which demand amazing athletic ability, others of which seem to be more about show-boating and putting on display that all-American, cowboy, dare devil attitude.

I'm trying to be open-minded, though. Figure skating can't really be called a "sport," can it? But it's probably the most-watched winter event. Still, I hold a special place in my heart for those who take part in the more hardcore events, those that demand pure athletic prowess, those that are based on ancient methods of survival and show man's triumph over nature.

What? What about the guns? You're asking me how I feel about a sport that involves shooting a fire arm?

Oh. Yeah, I guess I'm against that. Hmm.

Let's just politics aside, shall we? The Olympics are about international brotherhood and the glory of the athletic spirit. Let's enjoy ourselves as we watch those athletes pummel down the frozen slopes and glide across glassy sheets of ice. To quote Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the modern Olympic Games, let's cheer for those who go "Citius, Altius, Fortius" or "Swifter, Higher, Stronger."

p.s. Image posted above comes from: http://www.comune.torino.it/www2/brochure/img/logoto2006.jpg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home