Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I got my baby back!

computer keyboard

I saw the little paper tag flapping in the wind when we got home last night. It was stuck to the outer door of our building. It was from DHL. They had attempted a delivery yesterday.

It was my computer.

So this morning, of course, I woke up early, stuck the tag back on the door with my signature on it, authorizing them to deliver the package even if no one was home. And I proceeded to sit by the front window all morning anyway. I even cancelled my plans to meet a friend for a study date at 11.

Just after lunch, a big yellow and red DHL truck zoomed by the window. I shrieked. I watched the truck drive down to the end of our street, turn around in an alley, and zoom right back by.

"Come back!" I yelled.

After pacing the floor of our living room for what seemed like hours but what must have been about a minute and a half, I raced out into the vestibule of our building on my way out to the street. I was more than prepared to chase down the truck, which was obviously lost.

But there it was. A big cardboard box with my (mom's) name on it. (Long story.)

This time, my reaction was a bit delayed. I grabbed the box and brought it inside. A full thirty seconds elapsed before I began jumping up and down and whooping with delight.

Needless to say, the roughly 15-inch square, 5 pound piece of machinery on which I am entirely too dependent is now back in my possession. It still has all its old idiosyncrasies, and most of me is very aware of the fact that having a computer again will not all of a sudden free me of all the problems of modern day life.

Still.

It sure feels pretty fabulous right now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are joined in your elation by regular fans of this blog, who look forward to many elaborate postings in the days ahead. GPL,TBC

6:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home