Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Da Bears

Well I promised, so here we go...

First of all, a short explanation for my long period of blog truancy: things have been busy. I started class again, began teaching a double load of TA sessions, the brakes on the car broke, and oh yeah, I got engaged. So that's a lot to deal with. I didn't have much time left over for blogging, and I still don't. But I'm going to make a go of it here.

Instead of writing about any one of those major time-sucking activities, I'm going to write about what I did last night, which was ignore every one of my responsibilities to watch a football game. For the first couple hours, I regretted that decision. The Cardinals were winning, mostly because the Bears were sucking it up big time. I'm sure you've heard the stats by now: 6 turnovers, only 3 points scored by the offense. In fact, at the half these supposed "Monsters of the Midway" were down 20-0. And all this after listening to the guys on ESPN radio shoot down every caller who even suggested the Bears might not go 16-0 this season. It was pathetic.

But then something happened. The defense kept recovering fumbled balls and stumbling into the endzone. Some guy named Devin Hester returned a punt for 83 yards and scored another touchdown. And in the end, the poor Cardinal kicker Neil Rackers missed a field goal. Suddenly, the Bears had won, 24-23.

Was it fair? Hell no.

Was it a great game to watch? You bet your sweet bippy.

Are the Bears gonna go all the way? ...

HUH?! ...

Before we start grunting "Bears!" in unison, I think we should be a bit more prudent before answering that one. If Grossman (and the rest of the offense) continues to play the way he did last night, the Bears aren't going to go anywhere but straight into the toilet.

Still, it is nice to see a Chicago team winning. Even if it is by the skin of their teeth.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a couple of us out here on the Left Coast watched the whole game in amazement. Never in the 100-plus year history of football has a less deserving team won a game! and yet there was something admirable about it. Winning on a bad day, after all, is the mark of a champion. incredible... GPL< TBC

6:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home