Sunday, October 22, 2006

Laughing out loud

It's amazing how much fun laughing is. Sure I let out a polite twitter or a sarcastic "ha!" pretty frequently but it's not that often that I get to go in for a prolonged bout of genuine laughing. And last night, after a friend recounted her experience seeing David Sedaris read a few of his essays live the night before, we really got going. Reliving some of Sedaris's funniest stuff with someone else who relishes it as much as you do is a really good time. Story by story, the funniest pieces come back to you and before you know it each one of you is yelling, "Wait, but remember the one where he...?!" and sometimes you can't even get to the end before you start cracking up.

I know I'm hardly original for losing it over David Sedaris essays. He definitely has a large following and some people have no taste for him at all. And it's also true that some of his stuff leaves me cold. But I don't think anyone can deny that he's an excellent writer. He crafts each essay in a way that makes me wildly envious of his ability. If even one of my blog entries could compare, I'd be happy for life.

But analyzing his style and technique is not what interests me. He's funny, and he makes me laugh. And I benefit deeply from that experience. So anytime you want to sit around, quoting from his books or radio pieces, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be there in a second, looking forward to a good laugh.

p.s. For all those sceptics out there, check out this essay for a good example of Sedaris humor. I challenge you not to find this at least mildly amusing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home