Wednesday, August 20, 2008

RIP Dentyne Soft Chew

My favorite gum was discontinued sometime around the beginning of this year. I'm not sure why, but Dentyne decided to stop producing their Soft Chew line. In short, this was devastating for me. I'm not proud of it, but I had definitely developed an addiction to the Cool Frost flavor. It got so bad that I regularly scoured the internet, looking for obscure online candy dealers who still sold the stuff. But finally, last month, the well ran dry. There was none left, anywhere. So I was forced to switch to Orbit. What was really so great about Soft Chew? For one, it was soft; none of this Chiclet crap that Dentyne now peddles under the ridiculous product names of "Ice" and "Frost." Pop either one of these kinds of gum in your mouth, and within 30 seconds, you will be gnawing on a rock-hard pellet. No thank you. And unlike other brands, like Stride and, ironically, Extra, the flavor of the Dentyne Soft Chew really lasted (an extra, extra, extra long time, in fact). I've resigned myself to Orbit, because it seems to be the least crappy of any of these other brands. I'd still say that it loses its flavor pretty fast, probably after 3 to 4 minutes of chewing, but in other ways, it's relatively similar to the Soft Chew. Still, I really don't understand why a candy company would so abruptly deny the world of a much-loved confection. Oh, the injustice...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I could never agree more with you Dana, and how really good it feels to know that someone else out there feels your pain.

I have been having "withdrawals" these past 3 weeks, trying every kind to find one that would come close, Oh, had I known, I would have stacked up.
Lolo, Rhode Island

7:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home