Tuesday, February 08, 2005

This year, I wanted to take it seriously...

My plan for today's post was an explanation of the Lenten sacrifice I'm choosing to make this year. It was going to make me look so virtuous and admirable. I was going to talk about what one of my roommates (who is Catholic) said to the other (who is Hindi) last night to explain to her the purpose of Lent.

I was going to say that I really liked the way my Catholic roommate, who gives up all sweets every year, thinks about the whole idea of Lent, that every time she feels a craving for something sweet she reminds herself how blessed she is and says a prayer to thank God.

I really wanted to write about how my plan to give up gum for the next six and a half weeks was going to be great because every time I wished I could pop a stick in my mouth I'd get to think about how much good there is in my life. It was really going to be a fantastic post.

But then I found out that the brother of one of my former colleagues (not to mention current friend and poker mentor) died this weekend. He was a young guy, couldn't have been much beyond 30, and he had Lou Gehrig's disease.

At first I felt ashamed of the smugness I felt earlier today, after hatching my grand gum-denial plan. But I've settled now into a state of wonder. I feel as if I've been reminded almost daily during the past week and a half of the horror that can rock people's lives, causing devastating sadness. These heart-wrenching stories I keep hearing make me wish I really needed those gum cravings to remind me of how lucky I am.

Unfortunately, the world doesn't need my help in order to shake me out of my blind infatuation with my own silly problems. I only wish that I could trade in my taste for gum and get some relief for those people who are really struggling right now. I don't think I'd miss that Nutrasweet kick one bit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your posting makes me think of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's response to Hamlet: "To think, my lord, what Lenten entertainment the players will provide if man delights not you." Or something like that.

AJK III, Man of Letters

7:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home