Friday, April 15, 2005

Four Eyes

For most people, it'’s tax day. For me, it’'s glasses day.

Well, technically, glasses day will be Monday, when I pick them up, but today is the day I have been inducted into the glasses-wearing population. The doctor said it wasn’t bad yet but it would probably get a little worse over the next few years. “"Graduate school will do that to you,”" he said. So for now, I’'ll just wear them when I drive and when I want to be able to see the chalkboard.

I was expecting to have to shell out fistfuls of money for the privilege of being able to see, but I managed to come in at under $200 for the whole shebang. I did, however, ignore my mother'’s advice.

She told me to avoid cheap frames. “"How will I know they'’re cheap?”" I asked. “"Pink plastic,"” she said. I didn'’t exactly go pink plastic. Purple is more like it. But they'’re fun... and they were inexpensive, which made them pretty damn attractive.

Now I can fully incarnate the stereotype. In my turtleneck sweater, hair pulled back, glasses pushed up on the bridge of my nose, I am the girl gone mild par excellence. But that'’s all right. For those who really care, it should be a welcome change. After all, guys don’t make passes at girls who wear glasses.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the one who warned you against cheap frames now says "i bet she looks adorable in them." if only all people were as favorably disposed to everyone else as a mother is to her child. GPL, TBC

3:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home