Sunday, June 05, 2005

For Sale by Broker

The house where I grew up is now on the market. I searched on line and found the listing. This is the description they posted:

"This enchanting Dutch Colonial with a stone front and colorful window boxes invites you to come in. A large living room is perfect for entertaining or family living. The sun-filled breakfast room opens to a patio. The spacious master bedroom is on the first floor and two additional bedrooms on the second floor. This is a real opportunity to customize this jewel to your own specifications."

It's bizarre to see the space you lived in for 18 years described in this way. We never once called it the "breakfast room" because it was always the sun room. But that's what marketing is all about I guess. Still I wonder sometimes who writes these. You'd think they could expand their vocabularies beyond the same tired adjectives. Every house is an enchanting jewel to these people. Still, I hope it works. I hope my parents get the price they want and that someone else gets to enjoy our house in whatever future incarnation it might take on. Because it is a special house. Hell, it produced me, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home