Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Tracking the Yellow Jersey


I may have failed to catch World Cup fever, but I definitely seem to have become addicted to the Tour de France. Maybe its because I got to watch it live and in person last year or maybe its just because I am so in awe of the athleticism these guys display, but I have found myself spending 3 or 4 hours in front of OLN everyday since the Tour started.

This year's doping controversy essentially catapaulted the 3 main favorites right out of the race the day before it started. I think some people believe its not even worth paying attention to some ridiculous French bike race, especially now that Lance isn't even there to further the American dominance. What those people don't realize is that there are several Americans (George Hincapie, Floyd Landis) who now have a good shot at winning. And if its excitement you're after, you should know that there can be as much carnage in any given stage of the Tour than there is in a Nascar race or NHL game.

Part of me wishes I were back in France to see the Tour again live, but most of me is glad to be here in the States with my OLN. Without those cameramen hanging off the back of Vespas and the overhead helicopters, it would be impossible to see as much of the action. Plus, spending hours planted in front of the TV is America's greatest endurance sport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home