Wednesday, September 15, 2004

I Like to Run With Friends

It's infinitely more interesting than running by yourself, although I do enjoy that too or I wouldn't pound the pavement as much as I do. But running with a buddy lets you fall into an easy rhythm, in strides and in conversation. I find myself eager to talk about almost anything, as long as I have enough breath to do so.

But alas, today it rained for the first time in weeks here in Chicago, and the run with company downtown by the lake was not meant to be. So I came back to Hyde Park. And for the first time, I ran with Friends.

It wasn't the first time I'd ever run indoors on a treadmill with a TV glowing in front of me. I've certainly done that in various gyms, where the screen is mounted somewhere near the highest rafters of the ceiling and, even cranked up to maximum volume, the darn thing can't compete with the whirring background noise. Usually, I opt for my own music or only half pay attention to the flickering images.

But today was different. In the U of C gym, there are about 10 cardio machines with individual TV screens and independent controls. You simply plug your headphones into the outlet and pick your channel. So today I ran my eight miles watching Hurrican Ivan coverage, Will & Grace, and yes, even Friends.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the experience. Sure, watching TV made the run go by faster, but I stepped off the treadmill feeling somewhat unsatisfied (yet still thoroughly exhausted.) I mean, you have running at one end of the spectrum- high impact, visceral, physical activity. And you have TV watching at the complete opposite end- passive, mind-numbing, coach potato- type stuff.

Now believe you me, I'm up for at least a good hour or two of dumbing-down in front of the electronic fireplace every day. But I'm usually horizontal or eating or almost asleep. I'm not usually sweating profusely and bobbing up and down. I'm sure I'll be back for more in the coldest depths of the Chicago winter, but for now I think I'll choose real friends to run with instead of the kind that decide to desert you after 24 minutes and two commercial breaks.

2 Comments:

Blogger . said...

That's interesting, because I only like to run when I am on a treadmill watching tv, not outside with people. I find that for me, watching tv makes the time go by faster. And I REALLY like that.
:-)

10:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

makes me think of my college friend who reads the Bible while riding exercycle. modern life is a multi-sensory experience. TBC

2:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home