Sunday, April 16, 2006

Live and let dye


Even though I had no real reason to do it (especially since the chances of having a hunt this afternoon are slim to none, what with severe thunderstorms ripping through Chicagoland), I decided to dye eggs Friday night. My mom had sent me a box of Paas egg dyes, so what else could I do, let them go to waste? Not an option.

Besides, I like hard-boiled eggs, particularly when they are mixed with tuna and vegetables in a Nicoise-like salad. I'm not sure I'll be able to eat a dozen before they go bad in the next 3 days, but whatever.

These pictures give you an idea of the process itself and the final results. I made the obvious discovery that the eggs take on a much more rich hue when left longer in the dye. This is something I never really let myself discover as a child because I was always too impatient and couldn't resist pulling them out after 5 minutes.

Nevertheless, it was fun and festive. And isn't that what Easter is really all about, the chocolate and the Bunny and the sacred multi-colored eggs?

3 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Didn't we dye eggs together at my house last year??

And do they really go bad in 3 days? I imagine I've eaten them for up to a week. Ooops!

10:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your eggs are lovely. How was the hunt? Are any left under the couch or in the potted palm? You will know in about a month. Happy Easter!

8:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great colors! you're a natural-born artist. at our house, as you may recall, each year i like to have one egg that spends a few minutes in each of the six dye cups. that one this year turned out a mottled purple-gray, looking a bit like a bruise. i just this minute ate it with a bit of salt. GPL, TBC

6:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home