Monday, September 20, 2004

O-Week

That's what they call Orientation around here. And it began on Saturday, with lines of cars, loaded up with kids and luggage, streaming off Lake Shore Drive. Now there are hordes of wide-eyed freshman wandering around, looking generally scared and overwhelmed. Ah, it feels like just yesterday I was in their shoes...

Meanwhile, I'm still raring to go, but my rare is a little shakier than it was just an hour or so ago. An older graduate student compiled several lists of helpful (read: fear-inducing) advice on everything from writing papers to finding housing your first year as a French grad student at the U of C. My own eyes grew as big as saucers as I read this. I am beginning to anticipate long hours in the library, endless cups of coffee, and feverishly composed papers and presentations. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to say "I've never pulled an all-nighter" much longer.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

all these inside-info sheets sound scary when read by someone who doesn't yet have context. on the parts you know about (e.g., housing) you breezed. the MA school work sounds formidable. but if a person who got through The Fairest without ever pulling an all-nighter (!!!!!) can't handle it, nobody can. that frisson of fear that runs through the nervous system about now is like an adrenaline shot just before giving a speech -- you need it to do your best! go get 'em. TBC

1:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home