Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Loving Limpa

Swedish bread

Because my new home is located in a traditionally Swedish neighborhood, I decided, rather than search for the French bread that I'm missing like crazy, I should embrace the local flavor. So this morning found me wandering into none other than THE Swedish Bakery. It's a large, bustling place with case upon case of pastries, cookies, and cakes. They have a lot of the traditional American bakery fare - including Danishes called cheese and cherry "boats"- but also a large bread rack behind the counter. There were at least 10 or 12 different kinds of sandwich-type bread (alas, no baguettes) but I went right for the Limpa, the Stockholm Limpa to be exact, which is pictured above. And what can I say? It's delicious. According to the store's website, Limpa is made from "white flour blended with rye flour, molasses, brown sugar and a touch of fennel spice" so it's a little sweet (dare I say swede-ish?) and a tiny bit spicy. If you are ever in the vicinity of a Swedish bakery, I suggest giving it a try. Or come over to our place. The loaves are huge so we'd be glad to share.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could use a hunk of that limpa right now. not sure i'd take to the hint of fennel -- but at least no basil is involved. GPL, TBC

8:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home