Monday, April 24, 2006

Give me (more) drugs, man

Just about 13 1/2 months ago, I wrote this post about buying Sudafed-type products at CVS. Doing so involved a tedious process of visiting the pharmacy window and subjecting myself to monitoring by state officials tracking drug fabrication.

Now, 13 1/2 months later, I am suffering a similar sinus-related illness. To put it bluntly, I feel like someone has shoved tightly-packed cotten balls up my nose until they filled every possible crevice underneath my eyes and in my nostrils. This is an extremely unpleasant feeling.

However, if one wishes to buy Sudafed-type products on a Sunday so as to alleviate this feeling, one is, of course, S.O.L. The pharmacy is closed and there is no one behind the counter to record every last iota of your personal data and then relinquish the drugs to you.

So yesterday I had to find some other remedy that would sufficiently clear my nasal passages so as to allow me to fall asleep last night. Evidently, Comtrex does not contain the evil Pseudoephedrine and therefore does not need to be locked up behind the pharmacy counter away from all of us frenzied crystal meth-producers. The real question was, would it work?

I did fall asleep last night but did not wake up improved by any measure. Oh well, I guess I can't expect miracles, especially from over-the-counter medications so benign as to be deemed unworthy as ingredients in popular recipes for illegal recreational stimulants.

What will be most interesting will be to see whether or not I can manage to breathe and talk at the same time as I deliever my presentation in class this afternoon. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

if it adds anything to the discussion, we recently heard that the use of meth as an appetite suppressant by teenage girls is known around these parts as ``the Palos Verdes diet.''
also, if you think you're frustrated, imagine the terminal cancer patients who can't get cannabis legally even if it would alleviate their pain!
Hope you're feeling better by now! love, TBC

1:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home