Friday, September 24, 2004

The Last Weekend of (My) Summer

My own personal O-week continues, more overwhelming than it has been orienting. Thus the lack of posts here. So I apologize if I've left you all hanging. I fear that less frequent posts may be necessary, since I'm not sure you're dying to read about how many pages I have to read every night and which paper assignments are looming on the horizon.

I do know that one comfort I feel is related to the teaching aspect of my program. Even though I don't think any teacher ever gets to walk into a classroom on the first day (or any day) of class without butterflies in his or her stomach, at least I can walk in there knowing it's not my first time. I've heard a couple little squeaks of fear from a few other first-year grad students as they visualize a room full of eager undergraduates, zeroing on "the teacher." That's old hat for me, right? The only differences are that these kids actually care about getting an education; this is college, not high school; and, oh yeah, I'll be teaching in a different language. I mean I'm practically an old pro, right?

I promise to dispense with this self-pity soon. Oh, who am I kidding? I can make no such promise. But I do promise to enjoy this weekend as much as possible, carousing around till all hours before I make the full transformation into haggard graduate student come Monday morning. Ce sont les derniers jours de ma liberté, n'est-ce pas?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

make every jour a joyeux one! la vie is too short to do it any other way. (i feel like hercule poirot, talking this way. Sacre bleu!)
we Danainchicago readers understand that l'ecole comes first, and will not complain if the blog posts are fewer. but we will continue to savor those that we get. This is my favorite blog in tout le monde.
Life Is Full of Happy Surprises Dept: cruising a div 3 football website this week, I was reminded (having quite forgot) that UChi DOES have a football team. Your school enhances Div 3, and Div 3 enhances your school! GPL, TBC

3:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home