Sunday, September 26, 2004

Nourishment 101

In the spirit of food-relating blogging (check out my favorite, Chocolate & Zucchini), I'm going to mention the two Chicago-area restaurants I went to yesterday. I was very proud of myself for trying two new places instead of settling for what was safe and comfortable.

The first was Praire Moon in Evanston, a pub-type place with a great patio out back, and the second was Hema's Kitchen, which the reviewer from the local ABC affiliate deems the "best Indian restaurant in Chicago." Both places were pretty good, but I wouldn't whip out the superlatives for either one. The service was pretty slow at both places, which was fine actually because I was in good company at both places and in no need to rush.

Despite the obvious enjoyment of dining out for two meals in one day, my grad student budget just is not going to support that habit. So this afternoon I'm hoping to make a super economical trip to the supermarket with my roommates. I'm actually going to try to buy enough food for about 2 weeks, a task I've never actually accomplished before but also never attempted. I'm a notorious grocery store junkie, who in the past has had to limit myself to every-other-day trips.

But that was back when grocery store shopping was merely a leisure activity. I have been relying on dining halls for sustenance for the past six years of my life, and now it's time to feed myself, a much more daunting project than it might seem.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

think of the need to feed oneself as a creative challenge. stalk hotel corridors for room-service trays containing uneaten breakfast toast. on a more serious note, the most expensive food items are highly processed prepackaged stuff, and you didn't want that anyway! GPL, TBC

1:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home